For my tech plan, I chose a current project that I have begun to implement here at Lehigh. The product is an e-portfolio system called Mahara. We decided to look into this new software because it was open source, integrates into Moodle, and our current system is outdated and lacking.
As I wrote the tech plan, I found myself looking to the lehigh.edu website to see where the goals of the committee implementing Mahara are aligned with the goals of LTS. I was surprised to see what LTS even valued as "goals". Most things were more or less task based items, and did not identify our vision and goals of an organization. Another important item I realized was the disparity between LTS' goals and the University goals. I find it unfortunate because I think the intentions of the department are definitely focused on being in line with the needs of the university, but people reading this plan on the lehigh.edu site would never be able to pull that out of the current tech plan. Fortunately, the tech plan is ends this year. Perhaps there were be some positive developments moving forward.
It sounds like what happens in many institutions and businesses. Goals are supposed to keep the group united and focused in a common pursuit but when required to be published often result in a got to get something out there document that is not truly reflective of intent.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNot to stray too far off-topic, but you mention Mahara and that is something that I am working with now. Mahara is an interesting tool and one that I am still trying to figure out how to best leverage with students. I am currently working with an undergraduate who is keeping me posted on his project via Mahara blog posts and artifact creation, and it has been a great experience. It has potential, but you are completely right on the need to have goals and a vision that implements the technology in a way that fulfills those goals. Without a clear vision, technology implementation will not help a project realize its full potential.
ReplyDelete